JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Monday, August 3, 2009

The Ungaudy Gaudi

Last year, I went to see Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona with a friend and became an immediate admirer of Catalan architect Antoni Gaudí's work. I was lucky enough to travel to Spain a few weeks ago and see his masterpieces up close. Even though trudging around Barcelona earned me a bum ankle and lost me several gallons of sweat, it was definitely worth seeing this master's works in person. If you're not familiar with his buildings, this website has some excellent information and pictures. After I returned home, I decided to read up a little on the man himself and have been increasingly impressed. Here are two of my favorite facts:


  • For the last twelve years of his life, Gaudí turned down all commissions and lived, at least on occasion, in the basement workshop of the Sagrada Familia. Talk about some serious devotion!

  • Gaudí was hit by a streetcar while walking to church. Apparently he was a bit of a crusty looking character and was taken to a charity hospital ward. His friends found him there the next day, where he uttered these stirring words marking his intention to stay there: I belong here amongst the poor. He died due to his injuries.

I'll leave you with a view of my favorite Gaudí building, Casa Mila. What do you think?




http://www.barcelona-life.com/barcelona/gaudi


"Antoni Gaudí i Cornet." Encyclopedia of World Biography, 2nd ed. 17 Vols. Gale Research, 1998. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Gale, 2009. http://galenet.galegroup.com/servlet/BioRC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...