JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Lights, Camera, Action

While in a previous position, I was fortunate to take a wonderful filmmaking class through Barefoot Workshops. I guess you could say I learned that I had a pretty good story to tell behind a lens. Since that time, I have partnered on an award-winning film in 2011, made several films on some great artists, and recently was the recipient of a grant that caused my newest film to show at the Oxford Film Festival. My position here at MLC has led me down that red carpet as a filmmaker. I was honored to create Big House Books: Protecting the Right to Read.


Creating this film was a gift for me. I met some of the nicest, most dedicated folks who have become an inspiration in my life. These young women are so compassionate and are intent on making a change in the lives of Mississippi's incarcerated population... one book at a time. Big House Books, a non-profit organization, strives to fight illiteracy among inmates by sending them books by request.


People come into our lives as teachers, and one thing I've learned from my new friends is that reading and learning are as vital to our health as eating and sleeping. No matter how old or how young, how poor or how rich, or how educated or not, we should all keep learning... keep striving to be better.


I have been fortunate throughout my career to have done some really cool stuff. I planned and implemented a major concert with over 10,000 people in attendance, I helped to ensure that an Indonesian tiger has a swimming pool... and he actual smiled at me the first time he stepped in the cool water, and I had the opportunity to travel to some pretty great places across the country. This film project, though, has definitely been one of the best parts of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...