Here are some of the newer titles we've received in the Reference department:
The Book of the States, Volume 39. Lexington, KY: The Council of State Governments, 2007.
- Provides information on politics, policy, and administration of the 50 states and U.S. Territories.
- Sample entries: Methods of Nominating Candidates for State Offices; Election Dates for National, State, and Local Elections; State Excise Tax Rates.
- Information on the history of hair, including what certain styles reveal about age, gender, religious beliefs, occupation, economics, etc.
- Sample entries: Liturgical Comb, Mesopotamia, Styling Products, Farrah Fawcett.
- Provides day-by-day information on various holidays, celebrity birthdays, and historical anniversaries.
- Sample entry for September 27: It's Ancestor Appreciation Day, the anniversary of the day a letter from "Jack the Ripper" was received by London's Central News Agency (1888; also later believed to be a hoax by a journalist), the anniversary of the Warren Commission Report (1964), along with the birthdays of Wilford Brimley, Shaun Cassidy, and Meat Loaf.