JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Monday, March 5, 2012

Paw sez...

Last week I was searching through the WPA files on microfilm on Tallahatchie County and I came across this gem. This is a letter to the editor of The Democratic Herald that ran on June 6, 1895.

"Paw sez we need a Magistrit in this communerty and sez he thinks Mr. George Sturkey would make a good un, and I think so too, if he is a married man. We girls would prefur one of our fellers to be called 'yer honer', but then he is older and knows the most I guess.

Say, Mr. Editor, do you know where my maw can swop some cotton nittin' yarn fer a settin' of terky egs, she wants 'em bad.

Well, I'll hev to kwit ritin' for paw sez ritin' for newsy papers wont make cotton or corn, nor kill grass nuther, so as the more renownd orthers say more anon.

Yourne trulie,
Malviney.

P.S. You needn't bother about my spellin' as our teacher sez I kan't bee beet."

My favorite part about this letter is "newsy papers"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...