JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Did You Know? Carons Aren't Circumflex

Have you ever wondered what the little mark above certain letters is called? While all symbols written on, above, or beneath letters are called diacritics, they also all have special names. The little "V" written above this "S", for example, is called a caron, a wedge, or a haček:
 When the "V" is flipped, it is called a circumflex:
Each mark changes the pronunciation of the letter in some way, depending on the language. Now you know! Go dazzle someone with your new-found knowledge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...