JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

On the Road

I've always loved the road. Word has it that the only time I didn't cry as a baby was when my dad put me on a pillow in the backseat of his Ford Falcon and hit the back roads.

I still love the road.  Something about being on a Mississippi two-lane is such a freeing experience. I guess that's one reason I love being here at MLC: not only do I get to be on the road, but I get to see some of the most awesome libraries, visit with some of the nicest folks, and experience some of the best local fare you can get. Wow... I get paid for this? What could be better?!

Recently, I traveled to the Hub City for a conference with our fearless leader. We had an extra guest with us who is quite the interesting fellow; Stuart Rockoff, Director of the Mississippi Humanities Council, made the journey with us. He and Susan C. were great road buddies. After the meeting, we decided to stop off at the Library of Hattiesburg, Petal and Forrest County. The Director, Pamela Pridgen, showed us around their beautiful space and shared with us all of the exciting things going on at this fantastic community treasure. It was a great day on the road.

The Library of Hattiesburg, Petal and Forrest County

Pamela Pridgen, Stuart Rockoff and Susan Cassagne

Yesterday I hit the road again; this time heading in the opposite direction. The Mississippi Delta is one of my favorite road trips. There's something about the flatness and the cultivation of the soil this time of year that makes my spirit happy! When Joy and Mac invited me to go along on a consultation, I was waiting at the car. Jennifer Wann, the Director of the Bolivar County Library System is making some exciting changes to the library in Cleveland. Having already established a wonderful children's library, she has moved on to the teen section and has some really great changes in store. It will be fun to see the future of this wonderful space.

Children's library at the Robinson-Carpenter Memorial Library in Cleveland

Left to right:  Bobbie Matheney, Youth Services; Joy Garretson, MLC;
Megan Fleming, Circulation; Jennifer Wann, Director; Mac Buntin, MLC

Tomorrow I'm off again. Hitting the road with my colleagues on another adventure. You'll have to check back in to see where the road leads us this time!  Stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...