JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Stories from the Road - One Wild Trip!

Heading south on Highway 49 the other day my traveling buddy, Mac Buntin, said "You know there are going to be animals here today, right?" Covington County Library System's Library Director James Pinkard had invited him to their Summer Reading Program's final event, the Nature's Olympians program. I was all fired up to go with him, but little did I know it was going to be such a "wild" trip. Having worked at a real zoo for many years, I'm always up for anything related to critters. I was excited for what was ahead!

We pulled up to the library in the quaint town of Seminary. I had never been to this pretty community and it was such a treat. I felt like I had stepped into the pages of a book about the authenticity of small town Mississippi life.



The Conner-Graham Memorial Library is such a warm and inviting place. It felt as if it should smell like homemade chocolate chip cookies--welcoming and cozy. The library was filled with people checking out books and using the public access computers. A large crowd had gathered in the meeting area, and there were nearly as many expectant parents and grandparents patiently waiting there as there were children. All the kids began to gather round with the glow of expectation and excitement on their small faces. 



As John with Animal Tales began the program, you could almost hear a pin drop. He hinted that he might have a dolphin in his bag and I have never seen eyes grow that big or mouths open that wide. To the kids dismay, he didn't actually have a dolphin, but he had brought along some other wonderful animals they were thrilled to see. He was quick to tell them that he learned all about animals from reading books at the library. It was a very well-done program and I even learned a few things myself.


 


A special thanks to James and all the folks at the Conner-Graham Memorial Library for bringing back memories of one of the "wilder" times in my career. They do a great job, and if you're in the area, you should stop by and visit this library gem. My camera and I will be heading out on the road again soon to visit another Mississippi library. The road is calling, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...