JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The Joy of Reading to Kids


The summers of my childhood were filled with trips to my aunt's house in Mt. Olive.  She had four daughters...all older than me.  The youngest was like a sister to me, even though she was four years my senior.  We spent those summer days running, climbing and enjoying being kids.  When we finally wore ourselves out, we would come inside the wonderful old house where my mother and aunt had grown up and we would climb into bed to rest a bit.  The house had tall ceilings and large windows and I can still feel that warm afternoon air blowing through the windows.  My cousin loved to read to me and I would listen intently to every word.  There is something about having someone read aloud that is so special.

On a not-so-warm day recently I read to a group of third graders at Spann Elementary School.  The librarian, Jennifer Baker, is my neighbor and she asked me if I would read a Dr. Seuss book in celebration of his birthday. Of course I said yes!  My favorite Dr. Seuss book is Oh the Places You'll Go, so she said she would put my name on it!   This day is also known as Read Across America Day when lots of Mississippi public libraries and school libraries celebrate reading.  

Jennifer Baker, my neighbor and librarian at Spann Elementary



Jennifer was waiting when I arrived and had someone take me to my classroom.  The kids were so great and very attentive.  At the end of the story we sang Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss.  It was a fantastic experience that I will never forget.

If the opportunity presents itself, I encourage everyone to take time to read to children.  It is such a special experience!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...