JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Monday, July 1, 2024

Read With MLC: The Year You Were Born

Congratulations, y'all! We've made it halfway through 2024 and this year's Read With MLC reading challenge. We dedicated the month of July to reading a book published the year you were born. Sure, reading the latest bestseller can be really satisfying, but reading older books can be a rewarding experience as well. While doing research for a project in 2018, Emily Temple, the managing editor of Literary Hub, noticed that, just like today, the books that were the most popular weren't necessarily the ones that made the biggest impression on society, and therefore, aren't remembered as well. She collected the top ten best-selling booklists from 1918 forward and added in a sprinkling of "classics" from each year. The result is a kaleidoscope of titles of all genres and for all tastes. If you're interested in Temple's findings, here is her list of the most popular fiction and nonfiction books of the past century.


We asked our staff if they've read anything from the year they were born. Check out their thoughts below!

1960
To Kill a Mockingbird
Harper Lee
MLC catalog
BARD
I first read this in ninth grade, but I didn't realize then it was published the year I was born!
-Margaret Smitherman, Talking Book Services Patron Services Librarian 

1972
Amphigorey
Edward Gorey
I can't find any favorites I've read from 1972, but I'm totally going to get this from a library now.
-Kristina Kelly, Public Relations Coordinator

1973
Socks
Beverly Cleary
BARD
Beatrice Darwin's illustrations are amazing. It's been a while since I've read it, but I still own a copy.
-Sharon Davis, Library Development Director

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure, The "Good Parts" Version
William Goldman
MLC catalog
BARD
I didn’t know that The Princess Bride was first published in 1973. Although I have never read the book, I have watched the movie countless times, and now I'm intrigued.
-Sharmaine Frazier, State E-rate Coordinator

1975
Curtain
Agatha Christie
BARD
I grew up reading Agatha Christie and watching the adaptations of her books. (I'm a die hard fan of both David Suchet and Joan Hickson.) Curtain is a lot of fun because it brings Poirot, one of Christie's most famous characters, back to the location of his first case and Christie's first book. The plot is twisty and turny and I can never remember who actually dunnit. Easter eggs: It took Christie 55 years to write the 33 books and 50 short stories featuring Poirot, and many of them are mentioned in Curtain.
-Elisabeth Scott, Reference Librarian

1986
Forrest Gump
Winston Groom
BARD
I’ve seen the film numerous times, so I probably need to check out the book. The film soundtrack is one of the best!
-Charlie Simpkins, Special Collections Coordinator

1990
Good Omens
Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
BARD
This has been on my TBR for a while and it just so happens that it was published the year I was born. It's the perfect excuse to go ahead and read it!
-Beth Samson, Continuing Education Coordinator

1992
Gerald's Game
Stephen King
MLC catalog
BARD
I love Stephen King and I love Gerald's Game!
-Kristen Hillman, MAGNOLIA Outreach Coordinator

Wild Magic
Tamora Pierce
BARD
I never realized this was published the year I was born until I found it on a list by accident. I discovered Tamora Pierce when I was 11 or 12 and utterly fell in love with her Lioness Quartet books that directly precede the Immortals Quartet. I still have a copy of both of the Quartets on my shelf in my home and reread them periodically as a comfort read.
-Megan Fleming, Talking Book Services Outreach Librarian

1993
Nightside the Long Sun
Gene Wolfe
BARD
Gene Wolfe is one of my favorite authors. I lucked out that one of his better books was published the year I was born.
-Zach Burton, Cataloging Librarian 

1995
The Golden Compass
Phillip Pullman
MLC catalog
BARD
I love The Golden Compass. I was really surprised to discover it was published the year I was born as Northern Lights.
-Alex Brower, Information Services Director

1999
The Bad Beginning
Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler)
MLC catalog
BARD
I love A Series of Unfortunate Events and I'm so glad the first book was published the year I was born.
-Maddie Klutts, Reference and Archives Librarian

As Temple says, "There are so very many books, and we have forgotten almost all of them." Go check out something from the year you were born. We're sure you'll find something delicious. None of the books on Temple's lists look appealing? Give MLC's BookMatch service a try. Send us your reading likes and dislikes, and we'll send you a list of recommended reads tailored to your tastes, all from the year you were born. Until next time, happy reading!

Elisabeth Scott
Reference Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...