In the summer of 1983 the Mississippi Library Commission began making plans to move to their new location at 1221 Ellis Avenue. This move would combine their two existing locations on West Capitol Street and at the Woolfolk Building into the Miller Center building. The new location increased space by approximately 11,000 square feet. This gave the agency more room for its collection since many of MLC’s books had been boxed and stored because of inadequate shelving space. This also enabled the agency to add more than 80,000 volumes within their existing shelving area. The poor condition of the West Capitol location was another factor considered in making the move. However, MLC’s Services for the Handicapped that was located in the Lions Building at 5455 Executive Place did not immediately move to the new location at Ellis Ave. The Miller Building provided a layout that allowed for future expansion of the stack area and featured an open-office area. The move began in August 1983 and was fully operational by October 1983.